Monday 21 January 2019

The Immortalists - Chloe Benjamin

Title: The Immortalists
Author: Chloe Benjamin
Pages: 346
First Published: 2018
What is it about: Simon, Klara, Daniel and Varya, four siblings that in 1969 visit a woman who can predict the exact day of everyone's death.
At the time they are only 4 Jewish children living in New York with their mother after their dad's death.
 How would they react about knowing the date of their own death?
My Thoughts: I had great expectations about this book, I really did. It started off pretty good, I was hooked. I read the first half of the book pretty quickly, it was interesting the way the author portrayed Simon and Klara. They were great characters. Until the day of their death. After that, Chloe Benjamin, goes on talking about these other two siblings, Daniel and Varya, not even remotely interesting as the first two. I think even the author liked Simon and Klara a lot better. They were independent, they were free, they did exactly what they wanted to do without fearing the consequences. At the end of the day, they knew exactly when their "end date" would be, so why not live fully? 
The author tells their stories separately, from the youngest sibling to the eldest. 
Simon is a gay teenager in the 70s, he runs away from New York so he can fully experience his homosexuality. 
Klara loves magic, she knows she has that something special, she knows she can make it as a magician, but she can't do it in New York, she has to go away also.
Daniel and Varya are just two normal people. They live a completely normal life, but even so, their lives are based on what happens to their younger siblings. 

As I said, I really liked the first part because it was concentrated on Simon and Klara, who I liked really much. When it goes on to Daniel and Varya, I slowed down a lot. I just wasn't interested anymore on what those two did.

Ciao Ciao
V.

No comments:

Post a Comment