Monday 10 May 2021

Piranesi - Susanna Clarke

What is it about: Piranesi lives in the House. Perhaps he always has.
In his notebooks, day after day, he makes a clear and careful record of its wonders: the labyrinth of halls, the thousands upon thousands of statues, the tides that thunder up staircases, the clouds that move in slow procession through the upper halls.
On Tuesdays and Fridays Piranesi sees his friend, the Other. At other times he brings tributes of food and waterlilies to the Dead. But mostly, he is alone.
Messages begin to appear, scratched out in chalk on the pavements. There is someone new in the House. But who are they and what do they want? Are they a friend or do they bring destruction and madness as the Other claims?
Lost texts must be found; secrets must be uncovered. The world that Piranesi thought he knew is becoming strange and dangerous.
The Beauty of the House is immeasurable; its Kindness infinite.


My Thoughts: Oh how much I loved this book!
I've buddy-read this which made it even more of a magical experience.
We were both lost for the first 20 pages, and were trying to figure out what the heck was going on. But once inside the story, I could not put it down. I was scribbling down notes whilst reading as kept having random thoughts and I hoped to give myself some answers before the book gave them to me. Boy I was wrong every single time. 

Piranesi is such a wonderful character and I just felt so sad for him. 
I was scared that it would be one of these books with an open ending, but I was glad to see it came to a conclusion - although I would have liked to see a different ending, more tragic.
But if you haven't read it yet, please do. It will take you through a strange but wonderful journey

No comments:

Post a Comment