Tuesday 13 June 2023

Rhubarb Lemonade ~ Review

 Rubarb Lemonade by Oskar Kroon

Description: 
Vinga dreams of the sea. She's going to be a sailor when she grows up, sailing to distant lands. At home, back in the city, Mum is sad and Dad has left for good. But here with Granddad on the island, all her problems feel far away. Summer goes on as usual, with porridge for breakfast, drinking rhubarb lemonade under the lilac tree and watching the sunset from 'her' cliff.
But things are different now too. The heat vibrates during the day, and a girl with a black hat has started appearing. Her name is Ruth. The only thing they seem to have in common is their age and that they are both on the island for the summer. But spending time together, their friendship soon turns out to be something much more.
Rhubarb Lemonade is a story filled with empathy and heart about an unusual summer when childhood comes to an end.

Firstly, thank you to NetGalley and Bonnier Books UK for giving me the opportunity to read this e-ARC.

This was just ok for me, I'm afraid.
I thought the premise was very good, but I don't think it delivered the way I was expecting. The story lacked something, I just wish there was a little more to it.
And.. I didn't love the end. I'm sorry but why did that person have to die? 

NetGalley classified this as YA and LGTBQ+, but it felt more like a book made for children, as it was very repetitive and the LGTBQ+ factor was at a bare minimum. There was hardly any romance and the two protagonists had no chemistry whatsoever. 

Said so, the writing was fluid, with enough descriptions to let the reader imagine the island, yet not too intrusive.

I'm really disappointed I didn't enjoy the book as I honestly thought it could be much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment